I know you’re all anxiously awaiting my next brilliant gem about how to have beautiful, healthy skin, but in the spirit of keeping it interesting I thought it might be fun to mix it up and talk about hair removal. That’s right, waxing.
I know, I know, discussing hair growth in inappropriate areas just isn’t sexy, but what IS sexy is having legs that are stubble-free, armpits that don’t get a rash after shaving, and a perfectly coiffed (or bare) bikini area free from ingrown hairs.
At Peace of Mind, we wax pretty much everything you would want to remove hair from. I’ve spent years trying out different waxes for different areas of the body, which is why we have quadruple wax warmers in our treatment rooms. Not all waxes are the same! For example, the wax I use on legs and arms is different than the wax I use on more delicate areas such as the face and bikini area. We wax lips, chins, arms, legs, thighs, bikini areas, men’s backs, women’s tummies, you name it! We even do fabulous eyebrows from complete shaping and design to monthly maintenance.
Even our pre- and post-wax treatment products are special and formulated in small batches by a long time esthetician/waxing specialist friend in Northern California.
Why waxing is better than shaving:
For those of you antiquates who are still shaving, here’s a few reasons why it’s not the greatest method of hair removal.
- higher incidence of ingrown hairs
- must be done daily (sometimes twice a day if you have a hot date that night)
- hair remains coarse and no reduction occurs because you’re not affecting the root or the follicle – you’re only removing what you can see.
- Dull razors don’t get the job done and new razors can cause cuts that aren’t pretty.
The benefits of waxing are too many to list. The biggest plus is that by doing it once a month, over time you actually end up with less hair. Pulling hair out by the root damages the follicle, so the new hair is softer, finer and lighter in color.
I’ve been waxing people for over 20 years now and Olivia and Elena are both proficient waxers. I bet you didn’t know that Olivia is right up there with Anastasia for brows but charges a lot less!
If you’re getting a Brazilian wax every month and you’re not coming to me at our convenient, peaceful Studio City location, why not? I can get you hair-free in generally less than 10 minutes using my amazing purple gel wax. We don’t skimp on quality skin care at Peace of Mind and we don’t skimp on our hair removal products and services either.
We also have our fabulous Depilar system that, when paired with waxing, will reduce regrowth significantly over time—results are usually seen within three or four treatments. Much less pain and less expensive than laser or electrolysis, and hair can be any color or texture. After using our Depilar system for just over one year, I have maybe 10 hairs (Olivia and Elena says it’s more like four) under each arm.
Do’s & Don’ts of Waxing at Peace of Mind
Before your appointment:
- DO wait at least 3 to 4 weeks in between waxing appointments for best results.
- DO exfoliate the night before you’re going to wax to loosen any ingrown hairs.
- DO shower or ask for a wipe or towel to clean yourself before your appointment.
- DON’T wax if you’ve used any Vitamin A or glycolic acid products in the last 48 hours—including over the counter products—as your skin can lift.
- DON’T pluck your eyebrows in between appointments—thicker brows will always be in fashion and over plucking can cause some hair to disappear forever.
- DON’T come in for waxing if you have a sunburn.
- DON’T use lotions or deodorants on areas to be waxed.
At your appointment:
- DO make sure to tell your esthetician if you’re taking any new medications, as some can cause you to burn even from a low temperature wax.
- DO use our recommended take-home post waxing products to prevent ingrown hairs and take down inflammation faster.
- DON’T (for men) put a dirty shirt on after waxing as your follicles are dilated and you can get an infection if sweat or dirt penetrates them. Bring a clean shirt with you.
After your appointment:
- DON’T do any kind of exercise where you’ll sweat for at least 24 hours after your appointment, otherwise you can get a bad breakout.
- DON’T be sexually intimate with your partner the same day you get a bikini wax as it will hurt and you can get a rash or infection.
As long as you follow our instructions, you will have smooth, hair-free skin and never need to pick up a razor again.
Waxing – yet another service to bring you Peace of Mind!
Leave a Reply